Displaying 1 - 10 of 125 Reviews

Most helpful positive review

nice for rear surround

by ibagoalie on Jul 22, 2014

4.0

"I have the Bose Accoustimass 5.1 for the side surrounds, so when I upgraded my receiver to a 7.1, I decided to go with the Bose 161 for the rear to keep everything Bose. I mounted them to the walls high up in the rear of my living room and WOW, the room really comes alive! I dinged 1 star because these are bigger than I thought they were going to be, almost loaf of bread size...."  Read Full Review

See more positive reviews

Most helpful negative review

Just what we needed

by Not quite audiophiles on Nov 22, 2008

★★★☆☆
3.0

"We bought these speakers to hang on the wall in the bedroom, and they do the trick. They were easy to install with the enclosed brackets, and the low profile blends in well. The sound is fine. Perhaps not the greatest, but for this purpose absolutely fine...."  Read Full Review

See more negative reviews

nice for rear surround

4.0

"I have the Bose Accoustimass 5.1 for the side surrounds, so when I upgraded my receiver to a 7.1, I decided to go with the Bose 161 for the rear to keep everything Bose. I mounted them to the walls high up in the rear of my living room and WOW, the room really comes alive! I dinged 1 star because these are bigger than I thought they were going to be, almost loaf of bread size."

Pros:

• Easy to set up,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio

Cons:

• Heavy / bulky

Jul 22 2014
ibagoalie
chicago

Best All-Purpose Speakers for the Money

4.0

"I use these speakers in a smaller living room area.

The sound is crisp and clear.

These speakers are great for background music when entertaining.

I get full sound when I crank up the volume, although base range is not pronounced."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio

Nov 10 2009
Timbow
Fort Collins, CO
  • Movie enthusiast
Full review provided by J&R Electronics

Perfect speakers - looks small sounds big

5.0

"Tested out this speakers as front speakers at home. Contenders were Bose 201 series V and Definitive Pro Monitor 800. The speaker sounded as good as the other two supposedly superior products.

I connected the speakers to a high current receiver, set the speakers to large to allow full range sounds to be passed to the speakers.

Bose sounded more clearer than Definitive. The Bose 201 series V had more bass. I then set the speaker setting to small in the receiver. And Lo there was no difference between the two Bose.

Another thing to note is the Definitive although had been rated a low bass frequency, I couldn't find any difference between settings of large and small in the receiver. This is strange because the receiver has a cut off of 100 Hz when the speaker setting is set to small. The Bose 161 like the Definitive did not have any sound difference between the receiver settings of large and small. Since Bose 161 worked similar to Defnitive, I deceided to keep it. Only issue was the shape was awkward.

As surrond speakers these are great and a must for every custom configured Home theater."

Pros:

• Cheap,
  • Small,
  • Sounds big

Cons:

• Awkward shape if used as front speakers

Jan 16 2011
jaimac
Philly
Full review provided by Best Buy

Low profile, big sound

4.0

"I'm using my 161's as the rear channel of a 5.1 set-up (NAD surround receiver, B&W front speakers, Bose centre)

I have wall mounted them about 2.5m from the floor in quite a large room.

From a performance angle... these are a great rear speaker when space is important. The quality of the sound output is excellent for a smaller speaker.

The Bose promise of sound broadly delivered is lived up to, the throw of sound is excellent (I also have Bose outdoor speakers & have found the same with them).

I am very satisfied with their performance as a quality rear speaker.

From an aesthetic point of view... their form and colour allows them to blend in quite well. Certainly don't jump out at you like boxy darker coloured units.

On the down side... when wall mounting it is very fiddly to tighten up the screw that connects the speaker part of the bracket to the wall mount part. It involves a very tight squeeze with a long shank screwdriver in a position where you can't see what you are doing & need a 3rd hand...

And a criticism that I also have with other Bose speakers. Bose. Please! Spring cable clips to hold the speaker cable? Come on, it makes the speakers look cheaper than they are. Pillars would really be a better idea."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Compact,
  • Decor friendly,
  • Good audio

Cons:

• Cheap connections,
  • Fiddly brackets

Sep 1 2008
Rex
Mount Colah, Sydney, Australia
  • Enjoy quality

Nice Rear Speakers

5.0

"These are great little speakers for the money. I normally roll with JBL. Have all Jbl speakers however Best Buy does not carry em anymore.

So I gave these a shot because I wanted something small, They are my 6th and 7th speaker for crying out loud! Great purchase. Sound you expect from bose in a small speaker. They might not do the job by them selfs. but as the "extra" speakers they are awsome, my stereo is rated at 130 watts per channel and these little bad boys are rated at 100 watts. So they sound great! Not lacking power! Makes a diff.,

Would buy them again, no regrets.

AS far as the review that bashes the mounting hardware, if you put it together right it is EASY AS PIE. You first determine where you want them. there is a left and right. Mount the speaker bracket to speaker, wall bracket to wall. Plug your speaker wire in and then hang them on the ALLREADY MOUNTED WALL BRACKETS. After you simply hang them on the wall bracket, attatch the provided screw to tighten, Cmon."

Pros:

• You can turn them sideways if ya want

Cons:

• ??????

Dec 26 2010
Bharvy
Kansas City
Full review provided by Best Buy

Bose 161 Gets the Job Done

5.0

"I read MANY reviews before buying the 161s. I felt that alot of the negative comments were from people who had 'tower speaker' expectations. All I wanted was something literally, for a bookshelf, to use with my run-of-the-mill Sherwood receiver/amp. I like listening to my music, but it does not define my life. I have two other Bose products and felt that I would get what I wanted with these speakers. Plus, I had to have the 'bare wire' speaker wire connectivity points on the back, rather than jacks. I was able to download and review the manual before buying, so install was a breeze. I don't have to have the earth-pounding bass and wide range sound levels that some buyers were disappointed with. I may integrate these with the pre-wired backbone that was in the house when we bought it, but for right now, I have great sound quality and don't have floor space issues. If you want heavy-duty theatre quality sound, then go for the bigger Bose products."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to set up,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Jan 31 2012
woodboatchick
Winneconne, WI
Full review provided by Abt Electronics

A perfect fit

5.0

"These Bose speakers fit perfectly with my surround system which has had components added to it over time. They are used as back surround speakers complemented by a new Yamaha AV receiver with Bose Acoustimass front speakers and a pair of oldish Bose Interaudio speakers as the side surround. The system is finished of with a Bose center speaker and it all sounds sensational with high definition sound from blu ray DVD. Besides sounding great, these speakers look very smart on the wall. Importantly, they are excellent value for money."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Compact,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Oct 15 2008
Tel
Melbourne, Australia

Bose 161 Speakers Excellent

5.0

"The sound is great, very natural. I mounted them on the wall directed toward our couch which is in the middle. We bought the white speakers so they wouldn't stand out as much and I hid the wire using wiring molding. People comment how great they look and sound. About 10 years ago I started buying Bose speakers and remain a big fan. You can not go wrong."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Comes with mount brackets,
  • Easy to mount on wall,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Cons:

• Wish they were smaller

Feb 28 2009
RobBob987
New York NY
Full review provided by J&R Electronics

Good speaker to complete surround sound.

4.0

"I got these speakers to use for the rear speakers in my home theater system. They are just what I hoped for. Good sound with great options of mounting. If you're looking for just speakers to use for your music system I'm not sure these would fit the bill. I would recommend the Bose 301 instead."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio

Cons:

• Not a stand alone speaker

Feb 25 2010
Big "O"
Smoky Mtns, TN
  • Movie enthusiast
Full review provided by B&H Photo Video

one of the best sound i have ever heard

5.0

"this is one of the best sounding speakers i have ever heaard i put 4 of these on my front porch and you can;t make these distort no matter how lould you go, just pure clean sound, and i'm one guy that crants up the power on these speakers because i like them lould, and still perfect clean sound,"

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Jun 23 2009
fritz gary dixon
122 joseph ave williamson wv 25661
Full review provided by OneCall

Displaying 1 - 10 of 125 Reviews
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Please let us know what kind of issue this is:

Email Address: (required)

We will never publish your email — see our privacy policy

Comments:

or Cancel

You selected:  Single review

Bose 161 Speaker System Questions

Have a question about this product? Get answers from the Buzzillions.com community.