Print Back

Most helpful positive review

nice for rear surround

by ibagoalie on Jul 22, 2014

4.0

"I have the Bose Accoustimass 5.1 for the side surrounds, so when I upgraded my receiver to a 7.1, I decided to go with the Bose 161 for the rear to keep everything Bose. I mounted them to the walls high up in the rear of my living room and WOW, the room really comes alive! I dinged 1 star because these are bigger than I thought they were going to be, almost loaf of bread size...."  Read Full Review

See more positive reviews

Most helpful negative review

Just what we needed

by Not quite audiophiles on Nov 22, 2008

★★★☆☆
3.0

"We bought these speakers to hang on the wall in the bedroom, and they do the trick. They were easy to install with the enclosed brackets, and the low profile blends in well. The sound is fine. Perhaps not the greatest, but for this purpose absolutely fine...."  Read Full Review

See more negative reviews

nice for rear surround

4.0

"I have the Bose Accoustimass 5.1 for the side surrounds, so when I upgraded my receiver to a 7.1, I decided to go with the Bose 161 for the rear to keep everything Bose. I mounted them to the walls high up in the rear of my living room and WOW, the room really comes alive! I dinged 1 star because these are bigger than I thought they were going to be, almost loaf of bread size."

Pros:

• Easy to set up,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio

Cons:

• Heavy / bulky

Jul 22 2014
ibagoalie
chicago

Best All-Purpose Speakers for the Money

4.0

"I use these speakers in a smaller living room area.

The sound is crisp and clear.

These speakers are great for background music when entertaining.

I get full sound when I crank up the volume, although base range is not pronounced."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio

Nov 10 2009
Timbow
Fort Collins, CO

Low profile, big sound

4.0

"I'm using my 161's as the rear channel of a 5.1 set-up (NAD surround receiver, B&W front speakers, Bose centre)

I have wall mounted them about 2.5m from the floor in quite a large room.

From a performance angle... these are a great rear speaker when space is important. The quality of the sound output is excellent for a smaller speaker.

The Bose promise of sound broadly delivered is lived up to, the throw of sound is excellent (I also have Bose outdoor speakers & have found the same with them).

I am very satisfied with their performance as a quality rear speaker.

From an aesthetic point of view... their form and colour allows them to blend in quite well. Certainly don't jump out at you like boxy darker coloured units.

On the down side... when wall mounting it is very fiddly to tighten up the screw that connects the speaker part of the bracket to the wall mount part. It involves a very tight squeeze with a long shank screwdriver in a position where you can't see what you are doing & need a 3rd hand...

And a criticism that I also have with other Bose speakers. Bose. Please! Spring cable clips to hold the speaker cable? Come on, it makes the speakers look cheaper than they are. Pillars would really be a better idea."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Compact,
  • Decor friendly,
  • Good audio

Cons:

• Cheap connections,
  • Fiddly brackets

Sep 1 2008
Rex
Mount Colah, Sydney, Australia
  • Enjoy quality

A perfect fit

5.0

"These Bose speakers fit perfectly with my surround system which has had components added to it over time. They are used as back surround speakers complemented by a new Yamaha AV receiver with Bose Acoustimass front speakers and a pair of oldish Bose Interaudio speakers as the side surround. The system is finished of with a Bose center speaker and it all sounds sensational with high definition sound from blu ray DVD. Besides sounding great, these speakers look very smart on the wall. Importantly, they are excellent value for money."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Compact,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Oct 15 2008
Tel
Melbourne, Australia

Bose 161 Speakers Excellent

5.0

"The sound is great, very natural. I mounted them on the wall directed toward our couch which is in the middle. We bought the white speakers so they wouldn't stand out as much and I hid the wire using wiring molding. People comment how great they look and sound. About 10 years ago I started buying Bose speakers and remain a big fan. You can not go wrong."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Comes with mount brackets,
  • Easy to mount on wall,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Cons:

• Wish they were smaller

Feb 28 2009
RobBob987
New York NY
Full review provided by J&R Electronics

Good speaker to complete surround sound.

4.0

"I got these speakers to use for the rear speakers in my home theater system. They are just what I hoped for. Good sound with great options of mounting. If you're looking for just speakers to use for your music system I'm not sure these would fit the bill. I would recommend the Bose 301 instead."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio

Cons:

• Not a stand alone speaker

Feb 25 2010
Big "O"
Smoky Mtns, TN
Full review provided by B&H Photo Video

one of the best sound i have ever heard

5.0

"this is one of the best sounding speakers i have ever heaard i put 4 of these on my front porch and you can;t make these distort no matter how lould you go, just pure clean sound, and i'm one guy that crants up the power on these speakers because i like them lould, and still perfect clean sound,"

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Jun 23 2009
fritz gary dixon
122 joseph ave williamson wv 25661
Full review provided by OneCall

Great wall mounted speakers

5.0

"The speakers sound and look great.

My only negative is that they could be easier to mount to the wall. It is really hard to get a screwdriver behind the unit to tighten the lock in screw.(I hope someone from the Bose design team reads this.)

I still recommend these speakers, as sound is great."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Jun 13 2010
Iron Man
Prospectville. PA
  • Technically challenged
Full review provided by J&R Electronics

Great sound in 2 small packages!

5.0

"I love these speakers! They were not difficult to set up. I mounted them above the windows in a newly built music room over the carport. They fill the room with sound. Great purchase!"

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output,
  • Unique looking

Cons:

• I can't find any

Aug 6 2010
VBK
Baton Rouge, LA

Bose Knows

5.0

"I'm using six of these speakers in my office for my computer's sound. I mounted them on the wall using the provided hardware which was fairly easy considering their light weight. I had some cheap sony speakers before and these sound much clearer."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output

Apr 27 2010
MP3 Man
Chicago, Il

Displaying 1 - 10 of 74 Reviews
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Please let us know what kind of issue this is:

Email Address: (required)

We will never publish your email — see our privacy policy

Comments:

or Cancel

You selected:  Single review

Compare With Similar Products

Bose 161 Speaker System Questions

Have a question about this product? Get answers from the Buzzillions.com community.

Questions and Answers

Provided by OneCall

These Bose(R) multi-purpose speakers offer high performance in a slim and elegant design. Stereo Everywhere(R) speaker performance delivers stereo almost anywhere in the room. Articulated Array(R) speaker design features two 2 1/2' TwiddlerTM drivers that are angled to reproduce lifelike stereo o...

Specification Description
Speaker Type Bookshelf Speaker
Speaker Type Fullrange
Weight (Pounds) 3.8
Width (Inches) 11

Prices, inventory, and product information are provided by the merchants and may include any promotional discounts that are not available to all customers. We assume no responsibility for accuracy of price information provided by merchants, but please to any pricing discrepancies so we can notify the merchant. Additionally, sales taxes and shipping costs are not included in listed prices, so please check with the merchant for total costs.

Product specifications and information are obtained from third parties, and while we make every effort to assure the accuracy of product information, we do not assume any liability for inaccuracies. Product reviews are written and submitted by online shoppers to assist you as you shop. They do not reflect our opinions. We take no responsibility for the content of ratings and reviews submitted by users.

Powered by PowerReviews, Inc. ©2011 All Rights Reserved