Displaying 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews

Most helpful positive review

Great prosumer camera

by Strad43 on Feb 20, 2014

5.0

"Pretty easy to use, fair number of features, and versatile!..."  Read Full Review

See more positive reviews

3.0

See more negative reviews

Great prosumer camera

5.0

"Pretty easy to use, fair number of features, and versatile!"

Pros:

• Easy to use,
  • Great picture quality

Feb 20 2014
Strad43
Brookline, MA
Full review provided by B&H Photo Video

The Beginning of a NEW Era!

4.0

"Purchased this camera after having my Canon T2i (which I love for interviews and short videos), but I needed something that could record for longer shots, like meetings and seminars. I like that this has both a built in flash memory (which will pretty much never wear out because there's no spinning hard drive and really no moving parts) and as an alternative I can pop in my 32G Class 10 SD card from my T2i for even more space or for added ease in transporting the footage. Total I can record somewhere between 9-16 hours of footage depending on settings and codec!

Don't get frustrated, but understand it takes some careful reading and trial and error to send MP4 video from the camera, through the wifi to an ipad/iphone (very cool feature and ideal for a YouTube junky). Call Canon support if you need to--I did and they walked me through the whole process; super friendly and they were located in the US! note: if you own a Mac, don't use the provided cd's; the software is really designed for a PC.

I LOVE:

1) The wifi feature is way ahead of its time; no telling how this will be used in the future, but very helpful with uploading short videos to YouTube.

2) Dual codec is something I have only seen on very, very expensive cameras; AVCHD for DVD use and then being able to record in MP4 when recording a 6 hour long conference is very simple and takes up hardly any memory on the camera.

3) Touch screen on the camera is nice and LCD is so clear (thank you Canon)!

I DON'T LOVE:

1) That I can't send the footage straight to my MacBook Pro (at least I haven't figured it out yet although there is a way I'm sure.

2) The wifi setup is a less than intuitive.

3) the battery life isn't great--so plug that in!

4) when you upload from the camera to YouTube, it only displays in 360p, which is good enough, but not amazing (Looks amazing on an iphone though...)"

Pros:

• Good in low light,
  • Large clear lcd,
  • Lightweight,
  • Mic input,
  • Wifi

Cons:

• Non-intuitive wifi setup,
  • Pc only software

Apr 4 2012
Jo_nun
Lincoln, NE
Full review provided by B&H Photo Video

Great image for the price

4.0

"I purchased this camera as an upgrade for work at a manufacturing facility to document machines we build once they are up and running. Image looks great using the existing lighting on our shop floor. Camera is a good size/weight. I do find using the face detection a little difficult for my application as we film moving equipment parts and it seems to have a hard time keeping focus, that is if I can get the face detection to work in the first place. I think it would work perfectly fine for filming people...

My only real complaint is that since it is HD, it obviously takes up a lot of computer memory and editing takes a lot longer. I knew this would happen before I purchased - just realize this before making your decision on HD. I still love the outcome - and that's all that matters!

Nice camera, great image."

Pros:

• Easy to use,
  • Good audio,
  • Good in low light,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Large clear lcd,
  • Zoom range/performance

Cons:

• Edit time very long,
  • Large file sizes

May 9 2012
Andi Pete
WI

excellent camcorder

★★★☆☆
3.0

"Just got it , did my kids play at high school and it came out beautiful, excellent zoom, auto mode could use a tweak on lighting because faces get too bright. If you record anything at length a good steadyrest is essential because it is small and light. Picture feature works but it should have a separate button, touching the screen makes the camera move and the picture is not as clear.My biggest gripe is with the software, you MUST set up a password protected profile which is a waste of time, the wireless feature works, but is finicky and so slow that you would be better off without it, and direct to tv wireless is a format problem that you have to research to get it to work(what your TV accepts vs what format you record in)" if " it can be compatable. The battery is only good for 70 minutes according to B&H, but it is actually 120 -130 minutes on the camcorder. I miss a full manual, if they want to save paper then don't give me a startup manual in 8 languages, which makes me throw out most of it.Definitely expensive and expected better for the price."

Pros:

• Good in low light,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Zoom range/performance

Cons:

• Poor instructions/manual,
  • Poor software

Apr 6 2012
JeffJ
ny

Loving my new camcorder

5.0

"Went on a week long youth conference and used the camcorder several times a day. Never ran out of power but I always had the 2nd battery ready to go. The images are so clear and bright.It picks up sound near by very well but not from a distance. I haven't had time yet to learn everything that it's capable of doing. I got the date set wrong right off the bat and haven't figured out how to correct it. I would buy this camcorder again."

Pros:

• Good in low light,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Image stabilization ,
  • Zooms in good

Cons:

• Complicated controls,
  • Haven't got past basics,
  • Zoom out limited

Jun 19 2012
BHoke
Camden, SC

Great value on a budget

4.0

"I bought this camera to experiment with short films and to shoot promotional videos for clients. So far the quality is great, the low light sensor came in handy while I was shooting rehearsals in a dark theater. I added a wide angle conversion lense which makes it look a little more professional , while also enhancing the screen capabilities.

I have'nt purchased and external microphone yet, but hope to soon.

If I had more money iin my budget I would upgrade to a cam with a viewfinder and more professional looks to impress clients. However, the high def footage allows me to attain professional results. I would like more power in my zoom, this is only 10X. I would say if you need a cam that is versatile for personal and professional gigis now and then, this would work."

Pros:

• Easy to use,
  • Good in low light,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Large clear lcd

Cons:

• Limited zoom

Jul 21 2013
Tony
New York

Great Product!

5.0

"This is my first camcorder and what an experience it is! Menu and controls are very responsive and intuitive. Useful for beginners and experts. Easy to transfer files and play them on your TV via HDMI. Made very clear videos of my wedding ceremony and reception. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a high performance, top-of-the-line camcorder!"

Pros:

• Easy to use,
  • Good audio,
  • Good in low light,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Image stabilization ,
  • Large clear lcd,

Apr 5 2012
Alchemy27
Plymouth, MI

Optimized for HD Video

4.0

"I purchased the Canon Vixia HF M52 for producing marketing videos inhouse. Primarily used for client interviews, event documentation, and b-roll shots for videos we will post to our web site. The camera is small, battery life is good, and the amount of built in memory is good (32GB). I added a 32GB SDHC memory card as well.

The camera is promoted as being optimized for HD video and it is. The video quality is outstanding. However, it's also true that this is not a good camera for taking still photos. If you need a camera that is good at both still and video then this is not the camera for you.

I used the HF M52 to document a recent users' conference at our company and while the video was excellent, the few photos I tried to take were dark, showed lots of noise, and are basically unusable if you intend to print them. They may work ok for online use.

The menu controls take a little getting used to. Everything is handled through on-screen menus. Basic auto operation is great. There are decent manual control - however, the manual features available are somewhat hindered by having to use the on-screen menus to access them."

Pros:

• Easy to use,
  • Good in low light,
  • Great picture quality

Cons:

• Poor still image

Apr 30 2013
Corporate videographer
Seattle, WA

Great camcorder

4.0

"The camcorder has an awesome picture and is easy to record. This camcorder has very few buttons so not to hard to figure it out after playing with it for awhile. Now the reason for the 4stars is because it said that it was compatible with Windows Xp and vista but it would not work with the editing on the MP4 setting as well as setting up the wireless. Other than that I am very happy with it and for the size it has a big picture and places a give a big production value on the recording.

It may be smart to get the wireless remote because the touch screen LCD is small so the function buttons are kinda hard to hit."

Pros:

• Easy to use,
  • Good audio,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Image stabilization

Jun 27 2013
John
Lakeland FL

Great little camcorder!

4.0

"I purchased this product before heading out on a vacation. First of all, it's considerably smaller and lighter than you'd expect. It actually fit easily in the pocket of my cargo shorts. Every night I took advantage of the direct backup to hard drive feature by connecting an external USB drive using a Sony USB adapter cable. It performed well in low light as well. I only gave it 4 stars because of the lack of Mac software support. The Wi-fi capabilities aren't very useful."

Pros:

• Easy to use,
  • Good in low light,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Image stabilization ,
  • Large clear lcd,
  • Zoom range/performance

Cons:

• Poor software for mac,
  • Wi-fi too complicated

Apr 18 2013
bpetrel
Cinnaminson, NJ

Displaying 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews
pages: 1 2 3 4 Next »

Please let us know what kind of issue this is:

Email Address: (required)

We will never publish your email — see our privacy policy

Comments:

or Cancel

You selected:  Single review

Canon VIXIA HF M52 High Definition 32GB Internal Flash Memory Camcorder with 2.37 Megapixel, 1/3" HD CMOS PRO Image Sensor, USB Questions

Have a question about this product? Get answers from the Buzzillions.com community.