Displaying 1 - 10 of 333 Reviews

Most helpful positive review

Great washing machine

by Very Happy Customer on Sep 07, 2012

5.0

"Love this machine - using the tide pods in it - took me a while to figure out that you just throw the pods in the machine & not try to put them in the liquid detergent tray.....duh.....No problems so far but love the capacity! And are old machine used to "walk around" but not this - very steady...."  Read Full Review

See more positive reviews

Most helpful negative review

This washing machine does ...

by seventhside on Mar 28, 2011

★★☆☆☆
2.0

"This washing machine does not have an agitator. I bought it because it washes 5.2 cu ft. of clothes at a time, and is very energy and water efficient. I didn't want a front loader because of all the reports of leakage problems. I have had the LG Wave for two months now, and have washed ~25 or 30 loads with it. Benefits: (1) The clothes are super clean, (2) the spin leaves the clothes very dry, so drying time is ..."  Read Full Review

See more negative reviews

Great washing machine

5.0

"Love this machine - using the tide pods in it - took me a while to figure out that you just throw the pods in the machine & not try to put them in the liquid detergent tray.....duh.....No problems so far but love the capacity! And are old machine used to "walk around" but not this - very steady."

Pros:

• Adjustable settings,
  • Clean clothes well,
  • Large capacity / good size,
  • Quiet,
  • Spins clothes dry

Sep 7 2012
Very Happy Customer
Chicago, Illinois

Better than the rest

4.0

"I read so many horrible reviews on the manufacturers that I expected to use, e.g. Maytag, Kenmore. LG customers appeared satisfied and happy, which is more than I could say for other washer reviewers. It has a cycle at the beginning called Load Sensing. It moves the clothing around. I'm assuming the purpose is to "even it out". It does the opposite. If you put the load in evenly, it changes it so it's out of balance and you have to redistribute it prior to the wash cycle. Just weird. It has the Add a Garment feature, which shouldn't even be a feature on a washer but I'm happy it has it. The capacity is HUGE. I have never filled it. Seems like quality equipment, which it should be for the price. I've had it for a month and so far, so good. The number of wash settings is excessive. Nobody needs that many. I always choose the same cycles...partially due to what other customers complain about from other manufacturers: the agitation is so rough, it can damage or twist your clothes. I always use the "lightly soiled" setting and it's not a problem. My clothes still come out fine. The cycles are longer than the old machines...45 min. - 1 hour. However, there is an Express load. I would have given it 5 stars but didn't due to the Load Sensing issue."

Pros:

• Adjustable settings,
  • Clean clothes well,
  • Energy efficient,
  • Large capacity / good size,
  • Spins clothes dry

Dec 10 2010
First time reviewer
Chicago, IL

The BEST washer ever!!!

5.0

"I needed to replace my old 20 year old Kenmore washer and I had no idea what to get. I knew I wanted something simple but I also wanted quality and something that will last over time. I went through many products and reviews and even asked my dad for advise because he has been an appliance repair technician for 25 years. He recommended the washer I already have... thanks dad. LOL

Long story short I found this LG washer and it's matching dryer (DLE5001W) and I was very impressed at the load capacity and its features. The price at the time also caught my eye because it was on sale ($150 off). After comparing all the other brands over and over again, I found myself returning to the LG every time because I didn't like the idea of having to leave the door open on the front load washers in between loads just to air out so it wouldn't stink and mildew. So I purchased this washer and it's matching dryer, had it delivered and started washing everything I could find (white, towels, jeans, colors, darks) and I am very impressed. Don't be intimidated by the controls and the display; once you skim over the manual and start pushing buttons and turning the knob to the desired wash cycle, you quickly realize that it is just as easy to use as your old school washer.

I highly recommend this washer.

I should also mention that when I told my dad which washer I went with, he told me that they just received a demo and training from LG two weeks ago and he was very impressed with the changes they have made to the motor and the over all design. Coming from a man that has serviced washers most of his life, that says alot."

Pros:

• Auto adjust the load while it washes so it stays balanced and watching it wash through the glass.

Cons:

• It doesn't put the clothes in the dryer for you. just kidding; it's a great washer!

Jul 13 2010
Jus10c
Austin, TX
Full review provided by Best Buy

Really Great! One Gripe...

4.0

"I've had this washer for about a month now, wanted to wait before I gave it a review. First, the technology in this machine is really top notch, there are plenty of buttons to push for whatever type of load you are washing. I won't get into all the technical details as you can read those from the manufacturer but so far I haven't come close to using all its features. As others have said, this washer can hold a TON of clothes, the drum is enormous and without a center stack agitator you can throw those bulky items in without hesitation. It has a soft close lid so no more slamming which is nice because this has a glass top. The glass top is a cool feature because you can watch the machine do "its thing" because for most of us we haven't seen a washer wash like this before. All in all I am happy with how the washer performs, it's looks and the price I think is great for what you get. Now my one gripe...at the bottom of the tub there is LG's version of an agitator, it's a disc that rotates in either direction independent from the tub. The disc is not flat, it has these fin like shapes on it that stick up so when rotating back and forth it "grabs" the clothes (see attached pictures). I'm assuming this is how it cleans so effectively. The problem with this disc is that it is not very gentle in two ways. The first is when you put your clothes in the machine it "senses" the load volume to determine how much water to fill. During the "sensing" period this disc begins to rotate back and forth while your clothes are piled on top of it, kind of like a dry wash for about 20 seconds. This twists your clothes back and forth without any water and if you have anything delicate causes you to cringe. I haven't had anything get ripped yet or anything get caught in this dry rotation but it sure does make you feel uncomfortable. The second gripe of this agitator is when your clothes finish their cycle they are a tangled mess! The direct drive technology coupled with this disc agitator means your clothes are going to be twisted over and over again during the wash cycle and when it's time to place them in the dryer they are twisted, tangled and sometimes a major pain to separate. Jeans are very twisted at the leg and look like someone wrung them out by hand. When you throw them in the dryer they do de-wrinkle but if you have delicates it's not fun to try to untangle them from a ball of tangled clothes. I have noticed this tangling is less of a problem on small loads but we really are buying this machine because of its capacity so I imagine most of us will be dealing with this issue. I would give it 5 stars without hesitation it if weren't for this minor problem. It's not enough for me to return it but I do think people need to know about this. Good luck!"

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Capacity,
  • Features,
  • Technology

Cons:

• Disc agitator tangles clothes

Jan 14, 2013

"I was impressed when I went to LG.com and watched how this machine operated (was supposed to operate, sorry) I wanted a large tub so I could wash bedspreads, comforters and not go the the laundomat anymore. Well I spend more time tending to the machine because it is almost always out of balance. Don't think about washing your whites, towels or sheets in hot water. It doesn't exist with this machine. Everything is about cold water. No warm water enters into the machine. The model I bought was recently recalled because the tub could break lose and do personal or physical damage. The repair man was out a week ago and replaced the software. It appears it works somewhat better. However I just rebalanced a load and froze my hands trying to get the clothing unknotted from each other.
What a mistake. The repair man told me not to wash any loads that are under 20% of the machine and not to fill it up more than 70% of the machine. So much for the advantage of having a larger tub when it limits your use for smaller or larger loads than that. I had a Kenmore that lasted over 20 yrs and 1 service call only. Unfortunately it had an aggitator and I couldn't do bedspreads or comforters. So with a new higher priced machine I still can't do them without them being out of balance. When I load the machine I balance it out, the sensor turns on when you start it and reajust the load and has it all to one side or the middle. Who needs a sensor?? Save your $$ and do some thorough investigating before buying your machine. But I did that and is not what they said it was. Also the machine does not spin like it did before, it sounds like something is rubbing."

Nov 3 2010
Scorpio17
Columbia, MO
Full review provided by Best Buy

Love it

5.0

"Is it possible to be in love with a washing machine? Fabulous. Quiet, large capacity, beautiful. Does an excellent job and the spin cycle gets so much water out, my dyer is working less hard too. Awesome."

Pros:

• Adjustable settings,
  • Clean clothes well,
  • Energy efficient,
  • Large capacity / good size,
  • Spins clothes dry

Oct 25 2010
Lengle67
Chicago, IL
Full review provided by Abt Electronics

The LG WT5001C is one of ...

5.0

"The LG WT5001C is one of the few top-load washers on the market that doesn't have a central agitator. Until recently, the only way to avoid agitators was with a front-loader, which we weren't thrilled about. While water and energy efficient, front-loaders have a few issues that top-load veterans should be aware of:

The door seals require periodic cleaning.

The sump in the bottom of the washer needs to be drained periodically.

Long presoaking is difficult or impossible because the door is not designed to hold pressure.

Some front-loaders are too efficient and don't adequately wet-down heavy loads of less absorbent items such as fleece sweaters or blankets.

The first two issues above, which can result in mildew and/or a bad smell, seem to drive most of the negative reviews of front-loaders. In any case, this LG top loader got glowing reviews elsewhere for avoiding the front-loader problems while improving on conventional agitator designs.

So far, so good! By omitting the agitator, this washer is more gentle, easier to load and unload, and vastly better at handling large items like comforters. It's virtually silent while operating except when it hits the resonant frequency of the washer during the spin cycle, which produces a brief metallic hum. The load churning of agitator washers is completely gone.

Although the anti-vibration technology works fairly well, there is still some shaking present during high spin and the washer should be installed with enough clearance to prevent it from vibrating against neighboring appliances. The level of vibration is unremarkable in a top loader, and is only worth noting because it's the sole negative attribute we could find.

To summarize, we love:

Glass lid

Enormous capacity

Easy handling of bulky items

Ability to override the efficiency settings and presoak giant items like comforters and sleeping bags

Minimal to no maintenance beyond rinsing the soap tray once a month

10 year motor warranty

"

Sep 14 2010
Tepui
Pittsburgh, PA
Full review provided by Sears

amazing, i love doing laundry now!

5.0

"i lived in a two bedroom condo and we have only been able to buy a standard size machine before. this is our first "fancy" machine. the only negative is the rounged front of the lid makes it a TIGHT fit and it is just for aesthetics. but it is well worth the hastle because of all its bells and whistles!"

Pros:

• Adjustable settings,
  • Clean clothes well,
  • Large capacity / good size,
  • So quiet

Oct 9 2010
city gal
chicago, il
  • Heavy duty user
Full review provided by Abt Electronics

This washing machine does ...

★★☆☆☆
2.0

Benefits: (1) The clothes are super clean, (2) the spin leaves the clothes very dry, so drying time is very reduced, (3) the cycle settings are very flexible, including the ability to do extra rinses, (4) It makes quietly soothing noises while washing.

Drawbacks: (1) Everything is crazy-wrinkled! You can't hang dry ANYTHING and expect it to look good. Even T-shirts end up looking like they need to be ironed. What a disappointment - we bought the machine for energy efficiency, and now all the clothes I was hanging dry now have to be dried in the dryer, wasting more electricity than ever! I may end up buying a garment steamer as a workaround. (2) I have had three pieces of clothing ripped apart: two pairs of underwear and one lining on a pair of slacks. To put this in perspective, I have been washing clothes with agitator-type machines for 20 years and never had ANYTHING rip. Clothes are often very tangled, too, which twists and strains the fabrics, (3) It gets out of balance easily, even with small loads. I have to go straighten the clothes out so that the cycle can finish.

So, I can't really recommend it. We're deciding whether to send it back or live with it. Not happy options for an $800 purchase.

"

Apr 11, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

"Workaround....I found clothes getting really wrinkled from the wash also and fairly wrinkled at the end of drying. Put dryer balls in the dryer....and MAGIC...permanent press clothes look like they have been ironed regardless of how wrinkled they came out of the washer. BUY A SET OF DRYER BALLS!!! All clothes come out of the dryer looking fine since using dryer balls."

Feb 09, 2012

"THE TWISTING...TRUE! Here I am watching through the glass at my absolute favorite fitted tee's getting twisted tightly and the sleeves stretched in knots... you've GOT to be kidding. This is sooo going back."

Mar 28 2011
seventhside
Emeryville, CA
Full review provided by Sears

Awesome Washer

5.0

"This washer is Awesome! My clothes are cleaner & Im able to do bigger loads. High spin speed will unthread your delicates or baby blankets. I usually do dishes or run some hot water 1st if i need hot water for a load of laundry. Its a H.E. so its not going to get hot enough if your water heater is far away. Being able to clean comforters & doing larger loads save a lot of time!"

Pros:

• Adjustable settings,
  • Clean clothes well,
  • Energy efficient,
  • Large capacity / good size,
  • Quiet,
  • Spins clothes dry

Dec 10 2011
Celtichd
Englewood, Oh
Full review provided by hhgregg

Nice, quiet, great for large family!

4.0

"I am a mom of 4 young kids. This washer solved my problem of being taken-over by laundry. I can now wash all of my husband's clothes (less whites) in one load! The cycles are long (45-55min.) There is a shorter cycle, but I would only use that for unsoiled clothes (it didn't remove food on the baby's clothes. I haven't owned it long, but wanted to comment on some of the reviews I read before buying. The auto-sensing of the clothes is a great feature, and I have never had to adjust the clothes. Others have said that they always have to. The way it works is is spins around for 1 minute to be sure it is balanced. If you load the clothes one peice at a time instead of just dumping a load in, you'll never have a problem. I can't see a real difference in how dry they are coming out, but I can do 2 loads in one, which is great for me since I'm on the go. I put a load in, come back in an hour and switch it. I would have had to switch it at 1/2 hour, wash another, and switch it 1hour later to wash the same amount of clothes with a regular washer."

Pros:

• Adjustable settings,
  • Energy efficient,
  • Large capacity / good size,
  • Quiet

Cons:

• Long cycle

Mar 27 2012
Mom of 4
Columbus, OH
  • Heavy duty user
Full review provided by hhgregg

Displaying 1 - 10 of 333 Reviews
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Please let us know what kind of issue this is:

Email Address: (required)

We will never publish your email — see our privacy policy

Comments:

or Cancel

You selected:  Single review

LG 4.5 Cu. Ft. White Top Load Washer - WT5001CW Questions

Have a question about this product? Get answers from the Buzzillions.com community.