Print Back

Show

Sort by

A Good Modern Amp

4.0

The user manual ain't got nothing on this review.

"I bought this to replace a 30 year old Sansui that had suffered from a lightening strike that burned out the right channel and tuner. Despite going from 120 watts per channel to 80, and also being able to use all for of my speakers on one amp, the Marantz powers them all fantastically.

The built in phono input plays my record player perfectly. (Before because I had multiple amps, I had to run the record player through a per-amp which added a hum to the output.)

The only thing I would've like to see on it because its a modern amp, is a sub output, even it was just a single RCA jack.

Overall, this is just what I've been looking for, its hard to find a modern decent priced amp that can power big speakers like my Technics that can handle 260 watts. For a while I was looking for a vintage amp that had good output, but with the price of some there were too many questions on how well was it taken care of, the initial quality etc."

Pros:

• Compact,
  • Easy to install,
  • Good audio

Oct 20 2011
changeofspace
Tampa, Florida
  • Practical

Smooth

4.0

"I wanted an integrated amp for my computer and vinyl. I have a REGA RP1 turntable and a mac mini. I am very pleased with the results. The Marantz is able to push my ACI Spirit floor standing speakers with no difficulty and has a very accurate yet smooth presentation."

Pros:

• Easy to setup,
  • Energy efficient,
  • Good audio,
  • Good power output,
  • Good remote control,
  • Simple controls

Nov 8 2010
Full review provided by OneCall

Fits the bill

★★★☆☆
3.0

"The bottom line was not spending more than $500.00. Doesn't measure up to higher end equipment but it's not advertised to. I'm using this in a very confined space to replace a Kenwood 9100 that ran beautifully for over 20 years. The 9100 boasted very clean characteristics and authentic sound for a lower price integrated amplifier to which the Marantz doesn't hold a candle. This surprised me since I paid about $400 for the Kenwood in the 70s and without going audio room shopping, I thought, "in 20 years, with improved circuitry, surely the Marantz's performance would be at least equal and no less precise in measuring up." On the measuring up meter, I guess circuitry output quality has declined. Toyed with purchasing the Cambridge Audio Azure for more than a few seconds; NAD was also on my short list, or spending more on a McIntosh, but preferring solid state, and the Marantz 5004 remaining one of the few which offered a stock phono input, the decision really boiled down to a willingness to absorb an audio to price-range compromise. If the convenience of numerous input and outputs, AB speaker switching, or relative power are not issues, better sound is available. Nevertheless, the unit lives up to its billing. The sound's a little pillowy, but serves the purpose. A little nostalgia also tipped me to this purchase: the amp now matches an antique but still very functional 2100 Marantz tuner. I guess along with higher frequency hearing loss, I've become more uniform in my old age."

Jan 24 2011
Parsimonious
New Iberia, LA
Full review provided by OneCall

Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 Reviews

Please let us know what kind of issue this is:

Email Address: (required)

We will never publish your email — see our privacy policy

Comments:

or Cancel

You selected:  Single review

Compare With Similar Products

Marantz PM5004 Integrated Stereo Amplifier Questions

Have a question about this product? Get answers from the Buzzillions.com community.

Questions and Answers

Provided by OneCall

Integrated amplifiers are the best choice for anyone looking for superb performance without the complexity or cost of a comparable receiver or preamplifier/power amplifier combination. Their minimalist design (no tuner, no fancy processing) means that the engineering team concentrates on the esse...

Specification Description
Watts per Channel 4 Ohms 45
Watts per Channel 8 Ohms 35
Weight (Pounds) 14.8
Width (Inches) 17.3

Prices, inventory, and product information are provided by the merchants and may include any promotional discounts that are not available to all customers. We assume no responsibility for accuracy of price information provided by merchants, but please to any pricing discrepancies so we can notify the merchant. Additionally, sales taxes and shipping costs are not included in listed prices, so please check with the merchant for total costs.

Product specifications and information are obtained from third parties, and while we make every effort to assure the accuracy of product information, we do not assume any liability for inaccuracies. Product reviews are written and submitted by online shoppers to assist you as you shop. They do not reflect our opinions. We take no responsibility for the content of ratings and reviews submitted by users.

Powered by PowerReviews, Inc. ©2011 All Rights Reserved