Displaying 1 - 10 of 375 Reviews

1.0

See more negative reviews

The Best TV, bar none

5.0

"This is the most awesome tv I've ever seen!!I always do a lot of research before I buy anything. The reviews were right on the money except for the bad sound quality. The sound is not over powering, but it has a good quality response. I've had the tv since Febuary,and there is a 5000.00 dollar surround system right beneath it. I still haven't hooked it up yet. My wife said the picture is so real looking that is almost creepy. When I watch my 52" LCD,I keep checking to make sure I am watching an HD show. It just doesn't look like HD unless I'm watching my Samsung now! It will spoil you. Nothing else has a quality picture anymore. I hope you can still find this model. It's way to soon to buy a 3D TV yet. There are not enough 3D movies availible yet,and you never want to buy the first models of new technoligy. The second generation models of new technoligy are always improved and much better."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Energy efficient,
  • Good connections,
  • Good remote control,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Outstanding picture clarity/resolution

Cons:

• It can't read my mind lol

Jul 10 2010
Sidekick Sam
Nashville Tn
  • Power user
Full review provided by Abes of Maine

picture wont let you down

4.0

"The picture is incredible. I found this set to be a great choice after much research. My main beef is with the frame, which is way too fragile to touch. Since the picture does wash-out some from a sideview I mounted it on an articulating mount. In moving it back and forth I found that the frame is easily marked and scratched. Other than that the hdmi and audio jacks are not synched. So you have to turn down the set volume to zero when using stereo receiver to avoid echo. Have not tried digital optical though. The built in speakers are fine with me for casual use. [...] I did buy an extended warranty only because I used the free mount as credit towards it. They dont pay a penny for the "free mount" if that says anything. They will try to sell you on everything so get ready to just say no. Im happy with this purchase so far!!"

finally got it!

finally got it!

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Fun to use,
  • Good audio,
  • Good connections,
  • Good remote control,
  • Great resolution,
  • Not too heavy to move,
  • Reduces glare

Cons:

• Frame easily scratched,
  • Slight washedout sideview

Nov 26 2009
car
San Antonio, Texas
  • Casual user
Full review provided by Abes of Maine

Startling clarity, detail, and color

5.0

Okay okay, we get it. You LOOOOOOOOVE this product.

"Had my Samsung UN55B8000 TV a couple of weeks now. It has more than lived up to the hype. Hooked it up and put on a blu-ray disk. Even the delivery guy's jaw dropped, and he's delivered/set up hundreds of TVs.

TV is only inch and half thick and only weighs 60 pounds or so.

In fact, it is sometimes almost too good. When viewing people on HD you can see every little mole, scar, wrinkle, stray hair, makeup, five o'clock shadow, makeup line, etc. I'm sitting here watching the news and I can clearly see tiny pieces of lint on the guy's black suit. I'm guessing the talking heads of tomorrow are all going to have to have much better complexions.

If you like to tweak your TV this one provides a lot of different controls. There are already some websites that will give you what they consider good tweaks to maximize the pic. You can also look for the B7000 tweaks. Looks pretty darn fantastic right out of the box so if you aren't a techie, don't worry about it.

Sounds..not particularly good or bad, but I don't want TV speakers taking up space anyway. If you are going to spend this kind of money for a TV you should be using your stereo system.

Some reviewers were complaining about the number of inputs. Again, how many is enough. I run my PS3, XBOX360, IPOD, and the Dish box through my Denon and so I only use one HDMI.

You can plug it into the internet. No set-up, just plug it in. First thing it did was download 12 updates to itself. Have no idea what they did but ...didn't cause any problems. It automatically loads up some of Yahoo's widgets. Fun to try but...not something I have really gone back and used much. Also has some built in content...recipes, artwork, etc. that I haven't bothered to look at.

You can plug in USB drives and view content directly off the drive.

I long ago got rid of my roof antenna. I bought a little Turk indoor antenna and plugged that in so I can pop over into over-the-air signals and watch TV. It will automatically search and find the on-air channels. It even downloads some kind of TV guide from the internet for the channels it finds.

I also wanted to see if there was any signal degradation from Dish. I haven't noticed the HD degradation with Dish that I had with Comcast. The way Comcast packed the HD signals you could see a real difference between OTA and the packed pics.

Samsung also provides software which allows you to use your PC as a server. Then you can display your pics, music, etc on the TV. Took a little playing around but was easy compared to some of the others I've tried to use.

I've played games with both my PS3 and the XBOX360. No problems. No pixelating. Did not bother to change TV over to game mode. I haven't fooled around with the 240Hz function. I just leave it on standard.

I'm sure there are other features I haven't tried. With the ability to update itself over the internet I have no doubt they will teach it even more amazing tricks.

I've set up my Harmony 880 Pro to control all my devices including the IPOD. IPOD menu/info will display (through my Denon) on the TV.

All of the above features are great but the main thing is... the picture is just absolutely mind-blowing wonderful.

So, fantastic TV. I am VERY happy with it. Obviously I highly recommend it.

((Now I'm watching Wall-E in HD and it is pretty amazing.))"

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good audio,
  • Good connections,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution

Cons:

• Bad/no remote

Nov 26 2009
Purdue Grandprix
Salt Lake City, UT

Samsung's "LED TV's" are misleading and disappoint

★☆☆☆☆
1.0

"I am posting this review in hopes that it will ensure that other customers do not get misled into purchasing such an inferior television. I know that a lot of us have had terrible experiences with these alleged "LED TV's" and it appears that the word is being spread on all of the online sites dedicated to HD television. I hope this helps everyone make an educated decision. Let's start this review by posing a question. If you were trying to illuminate a 55 inch rectangle of any kind, would you hold lights to the sides of it as well as the top and bottom and shine those lights towards the center? Or, would you try to find a light large enough to illuminate the entire rectangle and place it directly behind it? Right! That's exactly what I thought. Nobody would ever try to illuminate something that large by shining lights from the edges of it in hopes that they would somehow illuminate the entire thing. Well, that is exactly what Samsung has done with these edge lit LED LCD TV's. Samsung likes to call them "LED TV." These televisions are most definitely not LED TV's. They are simply LCD televisions illuminated with LED lights placed around the edges of the screen. Let's think about that for a second. If you hung a sheet on a clothesline in the dark and wanted to light up the sheet. What would be the best way to light that sheet up evenly? Wouldn't it be placing a very large light directly behind the sheet, so that the entire sheet was lit up to the same degree all over? You certainly wouldn't shine a bunch of LED flashlights around the edges and point them towards the center of the sheet. Where would the majority of the light be if you did it this way? That's right, the very outer edges of it, where the light source was originating and at it's strongest. I just gave you the exact vision of what these televisions look like when viewing them in a completely darkened room. The edges, top and bottom, and especially all four corners cannot go completely dark. The LED's are placed in the corners and around the edges and when you view the screen in a darkened room you see the light of the LED's leaking through the panel into the image. The edge LED's light up the letter box bars, and they light up any scene of a film that is supposed to be completely darkened. Think of any great film you've watched that has a lot of dark scenes. Those dark scenes will have light flooding into them rendering them unwatchable. The LED's placed around the edges also cause backlight -- and in turn -- black level fluctuations. If you are watching a scene that displays any bright image in an otherwise totally darkened scene, the LED back light is not sure what to do, It must illuminate to light up the bright image in the scene but it also must stay darkened in an effor to keep the scene darkened. It's not sure what to do so you will see the entire backlight go completely bright and then back to completely dark before settling on roughly half and half to allow the LED to light up the bright image and darken the remainder or the scene. This causes the LED backlight that is lighting up the bright image to flood into the rest of the darkened scene and ruin it. These are the things you will deal with when you try to watch a film in a completely darkened room. You simply cannot replicate the theatre enviroment with these televisions and I believe that anybody who is paying $3,000 for a television wants it to be able to handle any type of viewing condition and any type of content. The problems I have described are not due to the fact that my television was defective. I owned the 7000 first, and these problems were even worse. I tried a replacement 7000 and everything was exactly the same. I decided to try the 8000 to see if Samsung had resolved these problems and fixed their error. The first 8000 I received had all of the same exact problems, -- albeit not to the extent of the 7000 series -- so I decided to try a replacement 8000 just in case. It had all of the same problems. These flaws and problems are just the nature of these "LED TV's." These televisions are simply an inferior product. It really bothers me that Samsung would manufacture this type of television simply because they knew they could promote it as being a "greener television" as well as an "ultraslim" television. These televisions were only made in an effort to make Samsung look like it was "going green" and make stockholders and eco conscious consumers feel like they were an eco friendly company. Samsung knew all along that they were making a flawed an inferior product but they gambled that they would fly off the shelves, so to speak, and that the consumer would go crazy over them because they are so slim and energy conserving. I will say this much about this television - If you are buying it with the intention of watching sports in brightly lit rooms, -- and absolutely nothing else -- you could certainly do worse. They do have a highly reflective screen, but they retain their blacks better in a bright room than they do in a dark room, and the colors are pretty lush, beautiful, and quite accurate -- when you have the set properly calibrated -- in a brightly lit room. Other than this, there is really nothing positive I can say about this television. I own a 52' B750 LCD which is traditionally lit, and it blows this TV out of the water. The backlight is even, the blacks remain dark in all viewing conditions, and the colors are more natural and less flourescent. I also own a 55' B8500 local dimming LED LCD. That television has some problems of it's own, (Please read my review of it here on bestbuy.com. I rated it as probably the second best television of 2009) but it is outstanding because once again, the LED's are placed behind the screen, and have the ability to dim individually. I also own a few plasma's - The Pioneer Elite 151 in 50 inches, and the 58' Panasonic V10. Plasma's are definitely still in a league of their own, but I like to have LCD's in my stable for energy conservation and for certain viewing conditions in certain areas of my home. If you need a television to re-create the enviroment of a state of the art theatre, you will need a plasma. The V10 is easily the best television you can get right now. However, if you wish to conserve energy, enjoy brighter more unnatural colors, and don't really need a television to recreate the theatre experience for viewing films, I would suggest either the B8500, -- if you have the money -- or the B750 which is barely a hair below the 8500 and costs about $2,300 less. I would not recommend this television, or the 7000, to anyone. Edge lit LED's are simply an inferior technology, and Samsung knew it all along. Buy the Panasonic V10 for $400 less than this TV and it will do anything that you could ever possibly want a television to do 100% flawlessly. If you simply can't stomach the thought of using that much energy, buy the B750. It is the best television for the money that it costs that you can buy."

Dec 22 2009
blurayman
SLC, UT
Full review provided by Best Buy

Incredibly Clear

4.0

"The picture is incredible; guests come over and they are stunned by it. That being said, in today's state of technology, may not be a great thing.

In many cases, many of the movies that I watch appear too clear, if you can imagine that. I feel like I'm watching actors moving around on a set, sort of like watching a play, rather than watching characters in a movie. Some sets, look like a set rather than a setting. In addition, you can see the make up on the actors. Sometimes, these things are little distracting.

On the other hand, outdoor scenes and animation look spectacular. I look forward to watching some good sporting events in the near future."

Pros:

• Easy to setup,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution,
  • Simple controls

Oct 25 2009
Mr. Jones
Los Angeles
  • Casual user
Full review provided by OneCall

Just got this TV...Good Grief!

5.0

"This is the most money I have spent online so I was nervous, but at the end of the day the SAME TV with warranty was a full $800 less then at [...]. So I went for it. [...].The TV? Mercy. I played around with the 7000 series and it was great, but there was some judder in a few fast moving scenes both in movies and sports, hence I went with the 8000. I have not seen one motion artifact since turning it on. Tennis, golf, basketball...movies. Crystal clear. It has 5,000,000 : 1 contrast ratio compared to the the 7k series which is 3 mil to 1. You can see a difference. The first show I turned on was the Lakers vs the Magic. Good grief...the picture was 3d with colors that just poured off the screen and this was with 1080i dish network. 300 was the first movie I watched...after some tweaking of the settings it looked perfect. The blacks on this TV are every bit as good as Pioneer's Kurio Plasma, but with a crystal clear picture.Setup: LOL. pop off the 4 box handles lift the set out of the box, place it on where you want it and plug it in. Done. There is NOTHING to assemble. The stand is already attached. Picture: See above. Simply stunning. The thing is 1.2 inches wide. Incredible.Interface: Very easy to deal with. I have not bought a new TV in 8 years so I am a novice, but I found this TV VERY easy to adjust.Sound: Sucks. Plain and simple. The speakers are just too small to sound good. I use a Denon 5.1 speaker/receiver system anyway so it is a non issue for me.Looks: Awesome. The set looks very classy with a brushed aluminum stand.I use a PS3 for my blueray which works great with this TV. Just fyi.p.s. ABT has the best price [...] right now although this could change. FYI this was my first purchase from them. I was impressed."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good connections,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution

Cons:

• Poor audio

May 21 2009
Katera
Houston, TX
Full review provided by Abt Electronics

If you just can't decide.....

5.0

"Without a doubt, the most "Stop and Stare" picture quality I have seen to date out of ANY panel I have extensively researched. The images are so clear, it feels like you're there. Friends and neighbors go absolutely silent with their mouths open at the picture quality. If you fiddle around with the image controls from default (Backlight/Blur/Judder, etc.), it gets even better. With premium heavy gauge HDMI 1.3 cables, the connections are very tight, since its so slim. I used a T-Rex 15 degree tilt mount and it works great. Relatively easy set-up. The manual can be a bit vauge in connection descriptions. The sound is acceptable for casual use, but face it, if you're spending this much for a TV, you best have a Home Theater or A/V receiver set up, or else you'll have a Ferrari running on a dirt track."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution

Cons:

• Can't find one yet

Nov 4 2009
Bubba Blue Ridge
Blue Ridge, S.C.
Full review provided by Abes of Maine

Puts you right in the stadium

5.0

"This TV is so sharp and clear that you feel that you are right there in the stadium watching the game (and counting the blades of grass!!). Set up was simple and the large number of connections makes it simple to connect cable box, blue ray player, etc. With all the HDMI connections I was able to set up the entire system with only 3 HDMI cables and the speaker wires for the surround system. Access to the internet was instant once the provided software was installed and the wireless bridge set up. This replaced a well performing 61" Hitachi DLP. A great TV for the next decade!!"

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good connections,
  • Great picture quality

Cons:

• None

Jan 4 2010
woodyb
Murrells Inllet, SC

UN55B8000 55

4.0

"Overall a great set. I upgraded from a Sony XBR 53-in projection. The picture is razor sharp and even the standard non HD cable channels are clear with good color. BlueRay is amazing. Additional cons - all the inputs and outputs are in the left side back edge or facing outward (HDMI on the edge) which requires longer cable runs especially when my components are in a console on the right side of the TV. Some have complained about the LED edge lighting effect and I do notice this but usually only during times when the credits are scrolling at the end of a movie and it has not been pronounced at other times. I don't think that the $ increase to go up to the 8500 to remove this would be worth it. PROS: very sharp and maintains detail when viewed close, at a distance or from the side. While the speakers are weak, we use them for basic viewing and only use the home audio for movies of sports. I was considering a sound bar because of concerns about the weak internal audio, but now don't think it is necessary. With the reported availability of Samsung 3D this year, I noted that the 8000 series will be able to handle the 3D signal (probably with a firmware upgrade) so I'm ready except for a new 3D ready BlueRay player.[...]"

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution,
  • Nicest stand base

Cons:

• Awkward input select,
  • Sound quality adequate

Jan 22 2010
MilitaryDoc
Virginia Beach, VA

Fantastic and Highly Recommended

5.0

"This is one amazing tv. It actually goes beyond just a tv, and becomes a home entertainment system all its own.

The most amazing feature, I just plugged in a portable 1 tb usb hdd and it not only accepted it right away, but played every movie format I tested. This included standard divx avi, mpeg-4, and the more obscure mkv. Of course, it also played music, and displayed photos.

The tv speaker is amazing on it's own, so don't worry if you don't have surround for it right away.

The picture is stunning, but you would have to see it to fully appreciate how different it is to standard LCD. If you remember the picture quality jump from rca or s-video to hdmi, then you should understand the next magnitude up in picture quality. That's what this gives you.

The only downside I can say is that you have to buy the samsung wireless adapter if you want to stream to your tv. Otherwise you can use a standard network cable. Not really that big a deal. The optical audio out is 5.1 as well."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Energy efficient,
  • Good audio,
  • Good connections,
  • Good remote control,
  • Lightweight,

duckie
Blaine, WA.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 375 Reviews
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Please let us know what kind of issue this is:

Email Address: (required)

We will never publish your email — see our privacy policy

Comments:

or Cancel

You selected:  Single review