Print Back

Displaying 1 - 10 of 256 Reviews

Show

Sort by

Most helpful positive review

Just got this TV...Good Grief!

by Katera on May 21, 2009

See more negative reviews

Samsung's "LED TV's" are misleading and disappoint

★☆☆☆☆
1.0

"I am posting this review in hopes that it will ensure that other customers do not get misled into purchasing such an inferior television. I know that a lot of us have had terrible experiences with these alleged "LED TV's" and it appears that the word is being spread on all of the online sites dedicated to HD television. I hope this helps everyone make an educated decision. Let's start this review by posing a question. If you were trying to illuminate a 55 inch rectangle of any kind, would you hold lights to the sides of it as well as the top and bottom and shine those lights towards the center? Or, would you try to find a light large enough to illuminate the entire rectangle and place it directly behind it? Right! That's exactly what I thought. Nobody would ever try to illuminate something that large by shining lights from the edges of it in hopes that they would somehow illuminate the entire thing. Well, that is exactly what Samsung has done with these edge lit LED LCD TV's. Samsung likes to call them "LED TV." These televisions are most definitely not LED TV's. They are simply LCD televisions illuminated with LED lights placed around the edges of the screen. Let's think about that for a second. If you hung a sheet on a clothesline in the dark and wanted to light up the sheet. What would be the best way to light that sheet up evenly? Wouldn't it be placing a very large light directly behind the sheet, so that the entire sheet was lit up to the same degree all over? You certainly wouldn't shine a bunch of LED flashlights around the edges and point them towards the center of the sheet. Where would the majority of the light be if you did it this way? That's right, the very outer edges of it, where the light source was originating and at it's strongest. I just gave you the exact vision of what these televisions look like when viewing them in a completely darkened room. The edges, top and bottom, and especially all four corners cannot go completely dark. The LED's are placed in the corners and around the edges and when you view the screen in a darkened room you see the light of the LED's leaking through the panel into the image. The edge LED's light up the letter box bars, and they light up any scene of a film that is supposed to be completely darkened. Think of any great film you've watched that has a lot of dark scenes. Those dark scenes will have light flooding into them rendering them unwatchable. The LED's placed around the edges also cause backlight -- and in turn -- black level fluctuations. If you are watching a scene that displays any bright image in an otherwise totally darkened scene, the LED back light is not sure what to do, It must illuminate to light up the bright image in the scene but it also must stay darkened in an effor to keep the scene darkened. It's not sure what to do so you will see the entire backlight go completely bright and then back to completely dark before settling on roughly half and half to allow the LED to light up the bright image and darken the remainder or the scene. This causes the LED backlight that is lighting up the bright image to flood into the rest of the darkened scene and ruin it. These are the things you will deal with when you try to watch a film in a completely darkened room. You simply cannot replicate the theatre enviroment with these televisions and I believe that anybody who is paying $3,000 for a television wants it to be able to handle any type of viewing condition and any type of content. The problems I have described are not due to the fact that my television was defective. I owned the 7000 first, and these problems were even worse. I tried a replacement 7000 and everything was exactly the same. I decided to try the 8000 to see if Samsung had resolved these problems and fixed their error. The first 8000 I received had all of the same exact problems, -- albeit not to the extent of the 7000 series -- so I decided to try a replacement 8000 just in case. It had all of the same problems. These flaws and problems are just the nature of these "LED TV's." These televisions are simply an inferior product. It really bothers me that Samsung would manufacture this type of television simply because they knew they could promote it as being a "greener television" as well as an "ultraslim" television. These televisions were only made in an effort to make Samsung look like it was "going green" and make stockholders and eco conscious consumers feel like they were an eco friendly company. Samsung knew all along that they were making a flawed an inferior product but they gambled that they would fly off the shelves, so to speak, and that the consumer would go crazy over them because they are so slim and energy conserving. I will say this much about this television - If you are buying it with the intention of watching sports in brightly lit rooms, -- and absolutely nothing else -- you could certainly do worse. They do have a highly reflective screen, but they retain their blacks better in a bright room than they do in a dark room, and the colors are pretty lush, beautiful, and quite accurate -- when you have the set properly calibrated -- in a brightly lit room. Other than this, there is really nothing positive I can say about this television. I own a 52' B750 LCD which is traditionally lit, and it blows this TV out of the water. The backlight is even, the blacks remain dark in all viewing conditions, and the colors are more natural and less flourescent. I also own a 55' B8500 local dimming LED LCD. That television has some problems of it's own, (Please read my review of it here on bestbuy.com. I rated it as probably the second best television of 2009) but it is outstanding because once again, the LED's are placed behind the screen, and have the ability to dim individually. I also own a few plasma's - The Pioneer Elite 151 in 50 inches, and the 58' Panasonic V10. Plasma's are definitely still in a league of their own, but I like to have LCD's in my stable for energy conservation and for certain viewing conditions in certain areas of my home. If you need a television to re-create the enviroment of a state of the art theatre, you will need a plasma. The V10 is easily the best television you can get right now. However, if you wish to conserve energy, enjoy brighter more unnatural colors, and don't really need a television to recreate the theatre experience for viewing films, I would suggest either the B8500, -- if you have the money -- or the B750 which is barely a hair below the 8500 and costs about $2,300 less. I would not recommend this television, or the 7000, to anyone. Edge lit LED's are simply an inferior technology, and Samsung knew it all along. Buy the Panasonic V10 for $400 less than this TV and it will do anything that you could ever possibly want a television to do 100% flawlessly. If you simply can't stomach the thought of using that much energy, buy the B750. It is the best television for the money that it costs that you can buy."

Dec 22 2009
blurayman
SLC, UT
Full review provided by Best Buy

Just got this TV...Good Grief!

5.0

"This is the most money I have spent online so I was nervous, but at the end of the day the SAME TV with warranty was a full $800 less then at [...]. So I went for it. [...].The TV? Mercy. I played around with the 7000 series and it was great, but there was some judder in a few fast moving scenes both in movies and sports, hence I went with the 8000. I have not seen one motion artifact since turning it on. Tennis, golf, basketball...movies. Crystal clear. It has 5,000,000 : 1 contrast ratio compared to the the 7k series which is 3 mil to 1. You can see a difference. The first show I turned on was the Lakers vs the Magic. Good grief...the picture was 3d with colors that just poured off the screen and this was with 1080i dish network. 300 was the first movie I watched...after some tweaking of the settings it looked perfect. The blacks on this TV are every bit as good as Pioneer's Kurio Plasma, but with a crystal clear picture.Setup: LOL. pop off the 4 box handles lift the set out of the box, place it on where you want it and plug it in. Done. There is NOTHING to assemble. The stand is already attached. Picture: See above. Simply stunning. The thing is 1.2 inches wide. Incredible.Interface: Very easy to deal with. I have not bought a new TV in 8 years so I am a novice, but I found this TV VERY easy to adjust.Sound: Sucks. Plain and simple. The speakers are just too small to sound good. I use a Denon 5.1 speaker/receiver system anyway so it is a non issue for me.Looks: Awesome. The set looks very classy with a brushed aluminum stand.I use a PS3 for my blueray which works great with this TV. Just fyi.p.s. ABT has the best price [...] right now although this could change. FYI this was my first purchase from them. I was impressed."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good connections,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution

Cons:

• Poor audio

May 21 2009
Katera
Houston, TX
Full review provided by Abt Electronics

My wife and I purchased ...

5.0

"My wife and I purchased this television after careful review and searching for the best price on the internet and in local stores. It is the top of the line model by Samsung. Surprisingly the internet stores (reputable ones only) and the local stores all had the same price on this item - about $3399 before tax, delivery etc. We purchased from Sears online since they avoided all the hassle options of setup options and pushing protection plans. Simple delivery of the TV, and haul away of our broken 27 inch was all we needed and at the best price. The automated system called us and set a delivery window. The delivery was on time and courteous with no problems. This TV, after nearly 6 weeks of watching, is a real GEM. The LED LCD technology will become main stream and is not expected to be surpassed for about 5 more years. OLED (organic LED), like in cell phones, will ultimately replace this technology in TV's. Our "Sammy" is like a plasma, but not prone to burn in or short life issues, and it also uses about 40% less energy than normal LCD's. Our last electric bill was not noticeably different. The interface is really nice and logical and my wife and I love this television. It costs a bit more, but if you want a great TV that will not be obsolete in 6-12 months, go with this gem. You will not be disappointed. Only thing, we were hoping the price would come down within 30 days so we could get some money back.... Did not happen."

Jul 24 2009
Crouses
Cary, IL
Full review provided by Sears

Samsun 8 Series 55

5.0

"This tv is, quite simply, fantastic. The blacks are quite deep (after changing the factory settings). The colors are bright and dynamic. And the picture is unbelievable. In fact, it's so good that in some movies, the actors in front of a green screen pop out so much that it is clear that they are in front of a green screen.

The only issue I have with the television is that it really should be hooked up to a surround sound system. I did this, but there is no option to control the sound that is being fed to the outside sound system through the tv. It is an either/or proposition. Either you have the sound come through the tv's speakers, in which case you can control the sound through the tv (obviously) or you hook up the 5.1 system and control the sound using your tuner. The tv it replaced allowed me to control the sound using the tv, even though the sound was being fed through my surround sound system."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good connections,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution,
  • Reduces glare

Cons:

• Poor audio

Jul 14 2009
DC
New York, NY

Top of the Line Features and two remotes

5.0

"The Dimension specs don't really indicate how close to the wall one can get the TV using the provided stand. I purchased a flat screen entertainment console furniture and the TV doesn't sit back far enough under the hutch portion. I would have to buy a wall mount to have it the way I really want it.

The Samsung site shows Internet@TV functionality. Note that the Internet@TV web site shows Showtime, NBC, BlockBuster, Netflix widgets etc as being available but the Samsung site only shows the standard widgets. I thought I would have those widgets on my TV but don't. Maybe they will be released soon (hopefully).

Note that this unit comes with two remote controls. One is extremely simple - channel up and down, volume up and down, and Power On/Off. The other remote with tons of buttons give access to the many functions."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good connections,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution,
  • Husband remote,
  • Reduces glare,
  • Simple controls,
  • Wife remote

Cons:

• Stand depth

Aug 6 2009
Joe M.
Seneca, SC
  • Power user
Full review provided by Abt Electronics

Sharp resolution. Misleading claims on contrast.

★★★☆☆
3.0

"When the AutoMotion 240hz is set in the middle or lower positions, the picture resolution is impressive. However, when the anti-blur settings are turned all the way up (full 240hz), the picture becomes grainy and it actually causes eye strain while attempting to focus.

The color control is excellent.

Samsung's claim of 5Million to 1 dynamic contrast ratio is extremely misleading. Here is why: The right and left outer edges have beams of lights coming from them, that bleed into the picture about 10 to 12 inches from the edge. In addition to this, there are some splotchy ghost-like images in several places in the middle of the screen. In other words, the tve will never have a uniform black level. These glowing pixels are "lit up" at all times. The problem worsens after the TV is left turned on for about 20 minutes. If you own this TV, one way to check the severity of this problem is by turning off the source material (Turn off the satellite box or BlueRay player). While the screen is still on, analyze the black levels. Since the TV is receiving the same black (no signal) across all pixels, there should be a consistent black level across the entire screen. When conducting this test, you will notice very inconsistent black levels across the screen. The pixels in the glowing areas are in various shades of gray. After this test, analyze the glowing areas while viewing source material that has dark scenes. For example, put on the new Terminator Salvation movie that has several dark scenes. You will notice that these glowing areas are still present in the dark scenes. The glowing pixels DO NOT get any darker when video content is shown, and they wash out what should be darkness on darker scenes. Adjusting the "dark level" setting helps some, however, this tends only to difuse the glowing areas; it does not make them go away.

That explains one reason why the 5,000,000 to 1 dynamic contrast ratio is a misleading claim. Here is another: In order to achieve a decent contrast level, the black levels must be set to "Dark" or "Darker" or "Darkest," the dynamic contrast settings must be turned up, and the normal contrast setting must be turned up. In order to attain the darkest levels the TV is capable of achieving, the detail in the darker images is completely wiped out. For example, if a person on the screne is wearing a dark suit, when the contrast settings are maximized, you will not be able to see any details on the suit. It will look entirely dark. Once the settings are adjusted to the point where you can see the details on the suit, then you no longer have an optimal contrast level. This problem is only exacerbated by the large number of glowing pixels (ghosting images) that do not have the ability to get very dark to begin with.

With lighter scenes, the ghosting images are not a factor.

If true excellent contrast ratio and dark scene detail are important to you, you will be disappointed with this TV. If this is not important to you, you will probably be very happy with the image quality.

The remote control has a neat function. When the room is dark, it senses motion and turns on the back-lights so you can see the buttons. The problem with this: The subwoofer causes the lights to come on. It is very annoying watching the remote light up and go off all of the time during the movie. It is very sensitive. Someone can simply walk across the floor and the remote will light up. Though I chose not to keep the TV due to the issues described above, I would imagine that this auto-lighting feature on the remote control, would cause the batteries to drain rather quickly.

Customer Service: I purchased the TV from Best Buy. After I exhausted multiple attempts to find a combination of settings that would get rid of the ghosting images, I took the TV back to BestBuy and swapped it out for another one. At this point, I was of the assumption that the problem was a manufacturing error that was confined to that one TV. Unfortunately, the second TV had the exact same problems. Therefore I have concluded that this is not an error; it is simply the way Samsung makes the LED TVs.

Conclusion: I took the second TV back and got a refund. I am now considering the LG 55LHX, which uses LED backlighting technology (rather than the "from the sides" LED technology used by Samsung. The LG has local dimming capabilities, which turns the pixels completely off in the darkest parts of the images. I have not yet found a store that has the LG 55LHX on display. I want to see it before I buy it."

Dec 17 2009
cdc0003
Edmonson County, KY
Full review provided by Best Buy

This TV is le-gen-waitforit-dary!

5.0

"I super-love this television. The extra cash to upgrade from the 7000 series to this 8000 was totally worth it. There are some reviews out there about the side-lighting for the LEDs and there being lightened corners, and I have noticed that while watching some things. However, if you hadn't been told or you hadn't read those reviews, you may not have noticed it. It's there, but it's minor and the blacks that you get with this television are sharp. The picture is so amazing that in a lot of instances it feels like there is a sort of 3D effect happening, almost like you are in the movie frame. The one con I do have is the Auto 240Hz True whatever it's called. It's ok, but I don't notice a difference between this television and the old LCD I had that was 60 Hz. I also do notice a glare on the television from the windows, no matter if the sun is up or not. I know that was supposed to mainly be a Plasma problem, but I do find it slightly annoying with this television as well."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Great picture quality

Cons:

• Glare

Jan 21 2010
Holly
Chicago, IL

When can I have the 65" model of this TV

5.0

"This TV is simply beautiful, a piece of art even when turned off. It blends seemlessly into the room, making other 'flat panels' look ancient. I wish this TV came in 65" size for true theater experience in family room. Sound surprisingly good though I have surround setup. Swivel angle quite wide. This is a masterprice, a class act by Samsung earning my respect, leapfrogging over Sony which is in trouble now. I want wanting to buy the XBR8 or 9 but terribly disappointed when they came out last fall...waited and waited for this and worth the wait!

CONs: Off angle viewing could be better. Remote response time lagged. Wiselink connection to computers at home slow for playing video, music and pictures off home server wirelessly. Pebble remote while cute not practical."

Pros:

• Attractive,
  • Easy to setup,
  • Good connections,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution,
  • Reduces glare

Jul 28 2009
Neilocool
Los Altos, CA
Full review provided by Abt Electronics

Can't wait to watch it again and again

★★★★☆
4.0

"Have had this TV for a few months now and I like it immensely. It isn't without its drawbacks though. The screen glare is slightly annoying if lights or windows are reflected in the screen, especially for dark scenes. The border around the screen is also easily scratched, even with the cloth that comes with the TV for cleaning. It isn't noticable from viewing distances, you have to get within a foot or two. After about a month we had the white screen issue as well. Ended up being a loose connector. [...] Also, after about two months of use the TV remote died. [...] All that being said, comparing the 240Hz with a friends 120Hz Samsung, I am glad I waited and spent the extra money on the 240Hz, well worth it. [...]"

Pros:

• Easy to setup,
  • Good connections,
  • Great picture quality,
  • Great resolution

Cons:

• Glare

Feb 26 2010
Clark
Chicago, IL

Disfunctional PIP

★★★☆☆
3.0

"Here is a copy of my chat with the Samsung Tech depart:

Maggie D: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?

Visitor: TV TYPE IS UN55B8000

Maggie D: Okay, go ahead.

Visitor: Question regarding PIP!

Visitor: Can you get PIP between 2 HDMI sources?

Maggie D: No, it's not possible. One should be anolog and another should be digital.

Visitor: What would be considered analog since everything has gone to digital including my cable tv?

Maggie D: VCR can be considered as Analog.

Visitor: They are virtually extinct as well! Why would they setup PIP like this when everything to be release will be digital?

Maggie D: Unfortunately, it was there with all the TV's.

Visitor: This is a new tv though! Analog went bye bye before the LED tv.

Visitor: Your manual shows using a splitter to the cable box and feeding one end of the splitter to the coax connection on the TV and the other to the box and using the HDMI output from the cable box to the TV to get PIP. Will this still work if all cable has gone digital?

Maggie D: Yes, it will work.

Visitor: Won't the signal from the coax and the one from the HDMI to the TV both be digital!

Maggie D: Just a moment.

Visitor: It was my understanding nothing is broadcasting in analog anymore!

Maggie D: Yes, I understand it. There was no broadcasting in analog anymore.

Visitor: So, it will no longer work then...using a splitter?

Maggie D: It works through a converter that converts the digital to analog.

Visitor: So, I would have to purchase a converter box to convert the digital to analog?

Maggie D: Yes, you can purchase it.

Visitor: It would be a fair statement to say that PIP, on my just purchased last Sunday, is a disfunctional feature unless you convert a digital signal to analog! Great!

Visitor: S/b the word 'TV' after 'Purchased' in the last text!

Maggie D: I understand it.

Visitor: So, you agree!

Maggie D: It would work fine if it converts from digital to anolg.

Visitor: Well, that was not what I wanted to hear. I may want to canx the delivery! Thanks!\

Some things to note: Manual does not say PIP must be one input digital and one analog. This product was released to the market after analog broadcasting had been killed by all networks. No mention of a converter box required to get PIP (and why would you want to step back in pic quality)! The Plasma TV I purchased from BestBuy made by Samsung 2 1/2 years ago had same issue! They are completely aware of this problem and continue to advertise the TV as having PIP. This is no different than if I had a box that was a nutcrack and could also predict your future and selling it to you! Bet I do not get compensated by Best Buy or Samsung for the disfunctional feature and the misadvertisement of the product! Bet this isn't the only TV Best Buy is selling with disfunctional PIP! Maybe I should place this on YOUTUBE so the majority of the population is aware!"

Feb 16 2010
des1157
Wichita, Ks

Displaying 1 - 10 of 256 Reviews
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Please let us know what kind of issue this is:

Email Address: (required)

We will never publish your email — see our privacy policy

Comments:

or Cancel

You selected:  Single review